BOMA’s Top 10 Efficiency Tips for Commercial Buildings
1. Measure and Manage. Benchmark energy and water consumption through Energy Star Portfolio Manager.
2. Audit Yourself. Perform regular energy audits to identify opportunities for cost-effective energy reductions. Remember to perform midnight evaluations to make sure lighting and HVAC aren’t running when the building is unoccupied.
3. Get the Word Out. Institute a tenant energy awareness program, using your company newsletter and/or building announcements to keep tenants informed about energy management goals and how they can help. Provide them with energy savings tips.
4. Become Enlightened. Replace incandescent lights with CFLs, which use less energy, have a longer lamp life and produce less heat.( They should have mentioned LEDS in our view!)
5. Go Low Flow. Install low-flow/flush fixtures and hands-free fixtures in restrooms.
6. Don’t Forget Electronics. Hold an e-waste day and collect old printers, computers and electronics for recycling.
7. Use Sensors. Install occupancy sensors and photo sensors that monitor daylight. Occupancy sensors also work for HVAC controls.
8. Be Shady. Install solar shades to block heat.
9. Encourage Eco-Friendly Transportation. Install bicycle racks and electronic vehicle chargers.
10. Improve IAQ. Use high-efficiency HVAC filters and change them often. Use low-VOC paints, sealants and adhesives for building improvements.
Article appearing courtesy Celsias.
|Tags: efficiency energy audit energy star recycling sustainability||[ Permalink ]|